Soundgarden rocker Chris Cornell died Wednesday, at the age of 52, his representative, Brian Bumbery told the Associated Press.
His death has been described as “sudden and unexpected” and his family has stated they will be closely working with the medical examiner to find out the cause of death, Associated Press reported. In the meantime, they have asked the media to give them privacy.
Cornell formed rock band, Soundgarden, in the 90s, which is best known for Grammy-winning tracks, “Black Hole Sun” and “Spoonman.”
After Soundgarden broke up in 1997, Cornell went on to form another rock band, Audioslave, with band mates Tom Morello, Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk, in 2001.
However, it was the period when Cornell was in between bands, when he composed exceptional solo music. He released his first solo music album, “Euphoria Morning” in 1999 and went on to release 4 more albums after that. His last music album, “Higher Truth” was released in 2015 and reached the top 20 in the U.S.
Cornell also had a brief spell in rehab due to his problems with alcohol during the time he was not associated with either of the bands, Mirror reported.
The members of Soundgarden regrouped in 2010, performed several Live shows and went on to release their first album in 16 years, “King Animal.”
Besides being a revered rocker, he was also an inspirational orator. The following are 10 of his famous quotes, taken from Brainy Quote:
- “What’s important is to get into shape and then not to have to worry about it. I don’t want to get on stage and not being able to do something. Not being physically fit doesn’t work for me.”
- “I’m not a lyric writer to make statements. What I enjoy doing is making paintings with lyrics, creating colorful images. I think that’s more what entertainment and music should be.”
- “To me, music shouldn’t be ego-driven. When you go out on stage and play songs, it is. But when you’re sitting in a room, writing songs, it’s a completely different process. It’s a completely different place. It’s a creative place, a musical place. It has nothing to do with who likes what.”
- “What do you think Jesus would twitter, ‘Let he who is without sin cast the first stone’ or ‘Has anyone seen Judas? He was here a minute ago.'”
- “If I’m going to go out to be a solo artist, it’s because I want to do something different without having to wait on someone else’s schedule or hobbies or be limited by other people’s prejudices. I’d be kind of stupid not to exercise that.”
- “And if you don’t believe the sun will rise, stand alone and greet the coming night in the last remaining light.”
- “I never wrote music or arranged songs or lyrics when I was under the influence of anything but coffee. That’s not gone away.”
- “A true musician, like Johnny Cash, should be able to walk into a room with nothing but an instrument and capture people’s attention for two hours.”
- “The reason there’s no modern-day Shakespeare is because he didn’t have anything to do except sit in a room with a candle and think.”
- “In the United States, workouts tend to focus on body image and how you look. For me, it’s really all about the brain.”